Opened in 1924, as Lyman Memorial School. At that time, it was the high school.
It was named for Howard Lyman, who as a once famous Vaudeville actor and prominent citizen. He was elected to the school board, but tragically died in a diving accident while on vacation while the new school was being constructed. It was named Lyman Memorial School in his honor.
For the full story about the Lyman brothers and Emma Abbot Lyman, read this article: Lyman Twins of Altamonte, famous Vaudeville stage actors
When the high school was moved, it kept Lyman’s name. The old Lyman Memorial became today’s Milwee Middle School. That school is named after former Superintendent (and Longwood resident) Rayburn Milwee.
The old main road went around the back side of the school, along Trout Lake. It connected up with what is now Anchor Road; it was called Lake Howell Road back then.
In 1970 the new Lyman High School was constructed. The old school became Milwee Middle School, named in honor of longtime principal and school superintendent, Rayburn Milwee. The original school building was torn down in 1990.