Hutchison
-

General Hutchison Parkway
President Franklin Roosevelt approved funding for the construction of a paved 5,590-foot, two-lane highway connecting the old Sanford-Orlando Highway (427) with the new Sanford-Orlando Highway (then State Road 3, now 17-92) in 1939. The new “parkway” provided a two-way entrance to Big Tree Park, replacing the dirt path that existed before. The estimated construction cost was $14,226, completed in 1940, and an additional $13,000 in park improvement funds were also granted. When the roadway opened, it was called the Pennsylvania Parkway. In 1963, the Seminole County Board of County Commissioners voted to rename General Joseph C. Hutchison Parkway highway. It…
