Stum’s Corner

Home /

Research /

Stum’s Corner


  • West Longwood

    West Longwood was the name of a social entity of families living on the west side of Mr. Henck’s town of Longwood from the 1880s to sometime around 1910. West Longwood’s eastern boundary was considered the families living on the south side of Greenwood Lake (now West Lake), about where present-day Church Street makes a westerly bend out to Rangeline Road. It included all the families living between there and Interstate 4. This area started to develop around 1880. Families were probably attracted to the area because the soil was suitable for citrus, and they needed a larger plot of…

    View ->

  • Stum’s Corner

    Headed down Rangeline Road, you may never notice this stately old home. Located right where Church Avenue and Rangeline meet in Longwood, it was once one of the area’s preeminent landmarks. The house was built in 1930 by Ben and Clara Stum, who moved to Longwood in 1926. Back then Rangeline Road did not exist and since travel was difficult over the sandy roads it was considered separate from Longwood. The Stum family owned about 700 acres and this home sat at the place where the road took a 90-degree angle: east to Longwood and north toward Markham. It was…

    View ->