Church
-

Northland Church
In the early nineteen sixties, Northland Church was formed in the hearts of a handful of people. These folks learned how to share their faith and were trained in discipleship and fellowship. They met on Friday evenings in private homes for Bible study, prayer, and encouragement. This group quickly grew to approximately 200. After three years of discouraging results trying to bring a spark into their church, they sensed the Lord calling them to begin a new church committed to evangelism, discipleship, and spiritual multiplication. Soon, moving from home meetings into a larger facility at the YMCA on Mills Avenue…
-

Parkside Fellowship Church of the Nazarene
The roots of Parkside Fellowship of the Nazarene are found in the Fern Park and Longwood Churches of the Nazarene. Fern Park Church of the Nazarene was organized in 1957 and closed on April 19, 2003. During its history, the church had many programs for the community and its members. The largest average attendance for Fern Park was in 1983, with an average of 63. In May 2002, Pastor Scott King came to the Fern Park Church. From 2002-2003, it was realized that there was no room for expansion of the Fern Park Church’s facilities. The Longwood Church was struggling,…
-

Mt. Olive Missionary Baptist Church
AKA — Longwood Corinth Baptist Church Around 1880 the town of Longwood was coming into its own. That year it was linked with Sanford and Orlando via by a narrow-gauge rail line that would later become the South Florida Railroad. For a town to prosper it needed plenty of labor, ideally cheap labor. So town founder Edward Henck began to recruit African American citizens to move into Longwood from around the Southeast. Eager for jobs in agriculture or one of the two railroads (the second, the Florida Midland Railroad, being constructed in 1885), many black families moved to Longwood in…
-

Longwood Baptist Church
The original location of the Longwood Baptist Church was near the corner of West Warren Avenue and Milwee, near what is now Judy’s Dolls. It was first called Warren Street Methodist Church on land donated for that purpose by town founder Edward Henck. It was completed in 1886. The old Baptist parsonage house still exists just east of where the church once stood. By 1891 the Methodist congregation dissolved. The Baptist Church purchased the property from the Methodist Episcopal Church trustees for $100 in 1907. The parsonage was moved here from West Longwood in 1911. The congregation operated in this…
-

Christ Church
Prior to the existence of Christ Church, the first Episcopal congregation started in Longwood in 1877. The first baby baptized with that group is known to be Annie Rand on Easter in 1877. The still existent Christ Church Episcopal was incorporated in 1879. The first building was a small log schoolhouse, located about a quarter mile on the property of Edward Henck, close to Magnolia Avenue and Freeman Street. It was used from 1879 through 1881. The present building was erected in 1881. As such, it is the oldest continuously operating church in Seminole County. It is an oblong, gray-frame building with…
