Fred J. Niemeyer moved to Longwood in 1885. He met and married the daughter of master carpenter Josiah Clouser, Frances Catherine Clouser Niemeyer.
The home was constructed for the couple in 1889, and built as a collaboration by Fred and Josiah. They called it “Keystone” because it was such a prominent structure in town. The Niemeyer family resided there for many years.
The Hopkins family moved into the home in 1952 and resided there for many decades. It became known as the “Hopkins House” and had a sign over the front porch with that name up until the early 2010s.
The original part of the home is only the first floor. The second store and porch were added in 1905. It is considered to be in the Queen Anne style–like the Bradlee-Mac and Longwood Community Building on the same street–however, really it is just barely in that genre. Some call it Victorian style instead.
Niemeyer went on to become a member of the Longwood City Council, he owned a shop in town, and for two decades served as the Longwood postmaster. The family raised poultry out of their home, both for sale and show.
The stone fence posts and well in the front date to the Niemeyer period.
The home has fallen into bad need of repair and many were concerned about its future. In 2023 it was purchased by the owner of the Clouser House (Brian Roy), who did a fantastic job with its restoration. Because of the great track record of the new owners, many of us are optimistic that it can yet be resurrected from decay.