Reports are conflicting, but this building was built in 1910. Around 1920 it was purchased by Lester and Blanche Payne, who built the two-story adjoining building next door.
This building served as Longwood’s post office from 1932 through 1946, and Blanche Payne (wife of Lester) served as the postmaster for all of those years. In fact, she continued on in that role after the post office relocated next door until 1958.
This building is a simple one-story commercial structure, typical of many constructed during the 1910s and 1920s.
For several years it hosted Pete’s Eats, a popular lunchtime sandwich shop. Currently, it’s a commercial kitchen available for rent by local small business owners, run by the owners of Wild Hare Market.