This home was built in 1910 as a residence for the Waits family. James Mumford Waits (1857-1922) lived here with his wife, Louise (1871-1947), and his four daughters: Evelyn, Lillian Elizabeth, Olive, and Adrienne. The Waits family moved to Longwood from North Carolina. He was a general store merchant. Their oldest daughter, Lillian (1895-1981), was a teacher at the next-door Longwood Schoolhouse.
Originally the house probably consisted of a low-pitched hipped roof covering a square plan, surrounded on at least two sides with an open porch and a separate open garage. Due to extensive modifications, today the original house is hard to visualize.