The home was originally constructed in 1890 in the community of West Longwood, which was located near West Church Avenue and Rangeline Road (Stum’s Corner). Then a considered a separate town, it was largely abandoned after the 1895 Great Freeze. The house had been moved to its current location by 1911 to serve as the parsonage for the Baptist Church, which was located on the adjacent lot.
Although the lower pitched roof additions obscure it’s form, the L-shaped core of this structure, capped by the higher pitched roof with its central chimney, is the original house
In 1911, John Bistline came to Longwood from Pennsylvania to work in Fred Niemeyer’s store. He later went to work for W.R. Healey, who owned a number of area squab farms. Healey is credited with originating the idea of sending fresh iced squab from Longwood to northern markets by train.
In 1914, Bistline married Niemeyer’s daughter, and the couple moved into this house. Shortly thereafter, they began breeding and selling Silver Wyandotte hens, and continued this into the 1950s. The hens won awards at national competitions, and Mr. Niemeyer became a recognized authority on raising hens for show. He also was a member of the Longwood City Council for 20 years in the 1920s to the 1940s.
Today it serves as Jeffrey J. Bordulis Attorney at Law.