People

Home /

Research /

People


  • Julius Molnar

    What is now Highway 434 through Longwood was long known as Molnar Avenue. It was named for Julius Molnar, one of the earliest settlers to the area. He was born in Hungary in 1850. In the 1880 Census, he was working as a clerk and living as a boarder for the John W P Dodd family. The 1883 book Orangeland says: “(E. W. Henck) was soon followed (to Longwood) by Julius Molnar, a young Hungarian, who was without means, but who, by push, energy and indomitable will, has made one of the finest orange groves in the county, and he…

    View ->

  • Josiah Benjamin Clouser

    1838-1920 Concern for the health of his wife (Eliza), Josiah B. Clouser moved his family from Pennsylvania to Longwood in 1881. He saw the town in newspaper ads placed by town founder Edward Henck. He was a master carpenter, who built many of the early Longwood buildings from 1883 onward. The two homes where he lived (Clouser House and Clouser Cottage) still exist today in the central historic district. He also built the Henck House and many other still standing residences in the district. He built other notable buildings like the Longwood Hotel, Altamonte Chapel (originally Lake Brantley Union Chapel),…

    View ->

  • McIntyre Family

    Compiled by Marla Pickelsimer 2018 The McIntyre family were the final owners of the Bradlee-McIntyre House. Here is some information about their family’s history. Samuel Maxwell McIntyre: final owner of the Bradlee-McIntyre Mary Louise Bowlby McIntyre—first wife of Samuel McIntyre Annie Kellogg McIntyre—second wife of S. M. McIntyre

    View ->

  • General Hutchison Parkway

    761 General Hutchison, Longwood, FL 32750

    President Franklin Roosevelt approved funding for the construction of a paved 5,590-foot, two-lane highway connecting the old Sanford-Orlando Highway (427) with the new Sanford-Orlando Highway (then State Road 3, now 17-92) in 1939. The new “parkway” provided a two-way entrance to Big Tree Park, replacing the dirt path that existed before. The estimated construction cost was $14,226, completed in 1940, and an additional $13,000 in park improvement funds were also granted. When the roadway opened, it was called the Pennsylvania Parkway. In 1963, the Seminole County Board of County Commissioners voted to rename General Joseph C. Hutchison Parkway highway. It…

    View ->

  • Bradlee Family of Altamonte Springs

    Thank you to member Marla Pickelsimer for doing much of this research in 2018 The Bradlee family were the first owners of the Bradlee-McIntyre House. They began construction of the home in 1885, then in Altamonte Springs, and the finishing touches were completed in 1888. The Bradlees were wealthy New Englanders with a large summer home near Boston. They constructed their winter cottage in Altamonte Springs to escape the cold, like many of the early residents did in those days. Nathaniel Jeremiah Bradlee: builder and first owner…. Wikipedia article on Nathaniel J. Bradlee… Julia Rebecca Weld: first wife of Nathaniel…

    View ->