Places
-

Longwood Hills Subdivision
The land that is now Longwood Hills was first purchased by John S. Young of Ohio, from the State of Florida. The 80-acre tract cost him just $60 (75 cents per acre) in 1873. Young sold the land to Richard H. Marks just three years later for $1,700. A year later it was sold to John F. Dunn for $2,000. In 1883 most of the property (60 acres) was purchased by John W. Park. The Park family defaulted on their mortgage in 1887 and the property was claimed by Agnes Wilson and Emma Andrews. However, the land was abandoned after…
-

Martin Andersen Estate
Martin Andersen first came to Orlando in 1931 in order to take over the two Orlando Sentinel newspapers, then known as the Morning Sentinel and the Evening Reporter-Star. At the time the papers were considered a very small time outfit, with circulation of about 10,000. Andersen was so successful at running the paper as editor-in-chief that the owner soon gave him a 10% stake to make sure to keep him around. During the Great Depression, he offered him an option to buy a controlling stake in the paper. Andersen, along with wife Jane, exercised this option in 1941. Martin was…
-

162 E Lake Avenue
There are two separate structures on this property. The front building is the original structure that was built in 1903. It is the oldest home in the subdivision. The back structure is a family home and the front structure is being used for storage. However, they are planning to start renovations to turn it into a mother-in-law apartment. The family claims that the old home is haunted by a friendly spirit that they have seen many times, an old man with glasses. … Currently trying to research more of the home’s history. William D. Vaughn and Doris Vaughn raised a…
-

Postal History of Longwood
Early Postmasters Post Office Locations Earliest Locations Payne Block: 1920-1968 Clock Tower Park: 1969-1995 Florida Central Parkway: 1996-Present
-

Candyland Park
Candyland Park is a recreational complex in the center of one of Longwood’s older residential areas. The land was part of John Neill Searcy‘s original homestead grant. It was named as a companion park to Longwood’s former Peppermint Park. The property that became Candyland, which abuts the Longwood Cemetery (dating back to the 1880s) came about in the early 70s. The Skylark subdivision was platted in 1972. It began construction in 1973, north of the Longdale neighborhood. The City of Longwood required that 5% of the land be set aside for recreation. And viola… someone decided that Candyland was as…
-

Rolling Hills Golf Club
Rolling Hills Golf Club was an 18-hole golf course established in 1926, with over 6,230-yard course in fairways. It was first known as Sanlando Golf & Country Club or Sanlando Springs Golf Club. It was renamed Roling Hills Golf Club in 1959. The semi-private club was well-regarded by golf enthusiasts as being fun, unique, and challenging. They said it had an old-world kind of charm. The club featured amenities such as an excellent restaurant, locker rooms, and a Pro shop. Activities provided in the club include a kids’ program offered in the summer and lessons year-round. There was a swimming…
-

Milwee Middle School
Opened in 1924, as Lyman Memorial School. At that time, it was the high school. It was named for Howard Lyman, who as a once famous Vaudeville actor and prominent citizen. He was elected to the school board, but tragically died in a diving accident while on vacation while the new school was being constructed. It was named Lyman Memorial School in his honor. For the full story about the Lyman brothers and Emma Abbot Lyman, read this article: Lyman Twins of Altamonte, famous Vaudeville stage actors When the high school was moved, it kept Lyman’s name. The old Lyman…
-

Driggersville
In 1872 a post office was proposed at Driggersville, which was never granted. This pre-dates Longwood. The application notes that it existed along a mail route between Mellonville (10 miles northeast) and Clay Spring (Wekiva Springs), which eventually led to Apopka. The location was 1 mile from the Little Wekiva River and two miles from Solder Creek. It was near the vicinity of EE Williamson Road and I-4. The pioneer here is Edward F. Driggers, who was filed for a homestead in February 1869 near Rangeline Road and Church Avenue. Link The application says there was no town there, but…
-

Dixie Food Mart
This small mini grocery was built in 1950. It sat in front of the Longwood Inn until 2002, partially blocking its view from 427. It was torn down when 427 was expanded.

