Parks & Rec
-

Candyland Park
Candyland Park is a recreational complex in the center of one of Longwood’s older residential areas. The land was part of John Neill Searcy‘s original homestead grant. It was named as a companion park to Longwood’s former Peppermint Park. The property that became Candyland, which abuts the Longwood Cemetery (dating back to the 1880s) came about in the early 70s. The Skylark subdivision was platted in 1972. It began construction in 1973, north of the Longdale neighborhood. The City of Longwood required that 5% of the land be set aside for recreation. And viola… someone decided that Candyland was as…
-

Rolling Hills Golf Club
Rolling Hills Golf Club was an 18-hole golf course established in 1926, with over 6,230-yard course in fairways. It was first known as Sanlando Golf & Country Club or Sanlando Springs Golf Club. It was renamed Roling Hills Golf Club in 1959. The semi-private club was well-regarded by golf enthusiasts as being fun, unique, and challenging. They said it had an old-world kind of charm. The club featured amenities such as an excellent restaurant, locker rooms, and a Pro shop. Activities provided in the club include a kids’ program offered in the summer and lessons year-round. There was a swimming…
-

Clocktower Park
This was the site of the J. H. Allen grocery store, which was built in 1908. The large two-story structure had retail space on the first floor, while Mr. and Mrs. Allen lived on the second floor. The store caught on fire on September 5, 1930, and was destroyed. It was demolished in the 1950s. In 1969 a new post office was opened in this spot. It didn’t have to move far, having previously been across SR 427 (then called East Lake Avenue) in the Payne Building. The postmaster at the time was William Bryant. This office served the city of…
-

Heroes’ Park
In front of the Longwood Police Department and overlooking Reiter Park, we find Heroes Park. It was constructed in 2005. This round resting spot at the northeast corner of Church and Milwee remembers our fallen heroes: first responders and military. It was dedicated after the tragedy at the World Trade Centers on September 11, 2001. A piece of the World Trade Center was given to the City of Longwood and then added to this memorial. You will notice a blank space between the three granite pillars on either side of the thin pillar. Look at it again and focus on…
-

Reiter Park
Reiter Park was created by the City of Longwood in 1980. It was named for longtime, prominent citizen Jimmy Reiter. The park was on land previously owned by the Reiter family, who homesteaded on 30 acres off of Warren Avenue in 1919. Much of the land that is now the park was at one time swamp and muck land, which was gradually filled in or drained through the construction of drainage ponds. Jimmy Reiter donated to the City the one-acre parcel that is now the fire department; the city purchased the adjacent 4 acres for the park from Reiter at…
-

Ed Myers Recreation Building
Today it serves as a convenient parking lot located across the street from the current Longwood Community Building. However, on this well-landscaped lot is where its predecessor used to live. For generations, the building served host to many events and meetings. It was built in 1935 and lasted until 2002, when the new Victorian-style community center was constructed. Originally, it only had a roof; the open-sided recreation area had shuffleboard courts and other outdoor type activities. However, in the 1960s it was enclosed and for years hosted events of all sorts from parties and weddings, to church functions and musical…
