Today it serves as a convenient parking lot located across the street from the current Longwood Community Building. However, on this well-landscaped lot is where its predecessor used to live. For generations, the building served host to many events and meetings. It was built in 1935 and lasted until 2002, when the new Victorian-style community center was constructed.
Originally, it only had a roof; the open-sided recreation area had shuffleboard courts and other outdoor type activities. However, in the 1960s it was enclosed and for years hosted events of all sorts from parties and weddings, to church functions and musical performances.
In 1993 the Longwood Community Building was renamed the “Ed Myers Recreation Building.” This came after the November 1992 death of former Longwood mayor and city commissioner Harold Edward “Ed” Myers.