Places
-

Hooker Homestead
This is the 1870s built home of the Hooker family, early settlers of the Concord community (now Casselberry). The modern home actually was two houses on the Hooker estate that were combined into one home. The primary living quarters was the main house, which at one time was a smaller building but was added on to over the years. Another section was previously the guest house. The Hooker family originally settled in the area, along the shores of Trout Lake in the 1850s. They farmed the land of a 40 acre homestead that included the land that Milwee Middle School…
-

Longwood Baptist Church
The original location of the Longwood Baptist Church was near the corner of West Warren Avenue and Milwee, near what is now Judy’s Dolls. It was first called Warren Street Methodist Church on land donated for that purpose by town founder Edward Henck. It was completed in 1886. The old Baptist parsonage house still exists just east of where the church once stood. By 1891 the Methodist congregation dissolved. The Baptist Church purchased the property from the Methodist Episcopal Church trustees for $100 in 1907. The parsonage was moved here from West Longwood in 1911. The congregation operated in this…
-

Frain House
Look beyond the overhang and new facade of the 434 Animal Hospital, squint a little bit, and you can clearly see the outline of an old farm house. It was built as a farmhouse in 1922 by Oscar Frain with his young wife Nancy Hooker Frain. Nancy was born in 1895 on the old Hooker Homestead (near Milwee Middle) and lived until 1985. Oscar was much older than Nancy, having been a friend of her father, and he died in 1944 at 87-years old. Then six-year-old Spencer Whitehead, who is related to early pioneers the Hooker family, moved into the…
-

Leighton House
This home was built in 1926. Florence E. Leighton moved to Longwood in 1928 from East Dicksville, Maine. She lived here for many years. Florence died in 1965.
-

Tupper House
This home was built in 1928 by the Maude W and Spencer L Tupper. Sylvester L Tupper was killed in 1952 under mysterious circumstances. His body was found in Lake of the Woods with a bullet hole in his head and bricks tied to his neck and body. Maude Williams Tupper (1877-1967) lived here until her death in 1967. She and her husband came to Longwood in 1928 from Sheboygan, Wisconsin. Maude was a beloved first-grade teacher at Lyman Memorial School (now Milwee Middle). She taught Spencer Whitehead, who lived across the street and provided an oral history for the…
-

Wekiwa Grant Offered For Sale by Dr. William Blackman
THE WEKIWA RANCH THE ASTOR GRANT This remarkable tract, which I acquired in 1915, lies in the angle formed by the confluence of the St. Johns and Wekiwa Rivers, in Seminole County, Florida, about four miles west of Sanford, the county seat and head of navigation of the St. Johns River, and adjoining the town of Lake Monroe. Seminole County ships one-third of the celery grown in the United States, in addition to immense quantities of winter vegetables, cabbage, peppers, lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers, beans and similar crops, amounting to some 8000 carloads for the season of 1929-1930. There are also in…
-

137 East Maine Ave
This home was built in 1932. Selma Olivia Johannson Larcom lived here from the 1950s until here death in 1971. She was from Farmington, Maine and began to spend winters in Longwood before reclocating here full-time. Larcom was originally from Sweden. She was born in 1880 and lived to be 91.
-

245 S Ronald Reagan Blvd
This building is currently home to the Absolute Massave & Skin Care Salon and Day Spa. It was built in 1938.
-

118 E Maine Ave
This home was built in 1926.

